Silver Diamine Fluoride is a topical solution that is FDA approved and the purpose is to reduce and prevent dental caries and tooth sensitivity. There are two active ingredients in silver diamine fluoride. The silver part kills bacteria because it's an antimicrobial agent and it also inhibits the formation of biofilm. The purpose of fluoride is to prevent the softening or demineralization of the tooth.
Although SDF does not remove the patient's need for restorative dentistry such as fillings, crowns, and caps, it is effective at preventing more tooth decay.
Silver diamine fluoride is a simple and non-invasive tool used in dentistry to care for carious lesions (cavities). The application can be done in the safety and comfort of our dental office.
- Using no toothpaste, the teeth are brushed and then rinsed.
- The carious teeth are isolated from the other teeth and dried. All debris is loosened and removed.
- SDF is applied to a micro brush and placed on the damaged area for two minutes.
- This process stains the decayed area black, while the healthy tooth structure will remain white.
- Any extra SDF is then removed, and the dental patient needs to refrain from eating or drinking for at least one hour.
WHY WE USE SDF
We commonly use SDF for many situations. These include:
- Children who are experiencing a high level of tooth decay (extreme early childhood caries)
- Younger children who are not likely to sit still for traditional dentistry treatment
- Patients with special needs
- Children who are experiencing cavities that need to be addressed over several dental office visits
The Advantages of SDF
- SDF delivers instant relief in cases of tooth hypersensitivity
- It kills the organisms that cause carious lesions
- It hardens dentin which has softened making it more abrasion resistant and acid-resistant.
- It will not stain enamel or dentin that is healthy